Contact With Your Children

Everyone is frightened and confused now due to the coronavirus. If you have recently separated from your former partner and children, it is going to be a worrying time. You will be concerned for your children’s health and welfare as they are not in school but will also be wanting to see them, to give them a hug and make sure they are alright.

However difficult it is you will have to try to communicate and discuss arrangements with your former partner. 

The government have confirmed we are only to leave our homes under the strict restrictions to make sure we are all safe and well. Where parents do not live in the same household, children under 18 can be moved between their parents’ homes. 

If this is not possible then it is important to allow your children to speak on the phone and if possible, Facetime their absent parent and family. Children will want to see their family and however you feel about them they will want some contact and it will reassure them as they may be anxious with the recent changes.

It is a very difficult time, and no one knows how long this will continue so try and put your differences to one side and continue the contact as you can.

If you have an existing court order you should comply with it at all times. If for health reasons you cannot then you should offer some other form of contact and communicate with your former partner to prevent any upset or misunderstandings. Update them regularly and try to communicate on special occasions such as any birthdays and Easter which will be taking place over the next few months. 

Try to set up a WhatsApp chat with older children, send jokes or pictures. If possible, send personalised cards from card websites so your children know you are thinking of them.

A separation is never easy, and we hope children get over things quickly, but it helps if they have support from both of their parents.

If you do need any help or assistance over this difficult time, please ring our family lawyers.

Sally Fitzherbert 

Hopkins Law